Office Fire Safety Tips

May 10, 2018

Uncategorized

Office Fire Safety Tips

Humans typically react strongly to fire. Unfortunately, we’re not as keen on preventing a fire from starting in the first place!

When it comes to fire prevention at your office, there’s one absolute fact: you can never assume everyone knows what to do (and not to do) to control risk. Following are a few tips from the National Safety Council (NSC) to pass along to everyone in your building:

Inspect power cords. If they are worn or frayed or have exposed wires, replace them immediately. Do the same if the cord has a damaged or removed prong. Cords should be UL certified and be used only temporarily to connect one device at a time.

Never overload outlets. According to the NSC, the most common causes of fires started by extension cords are improper use and overloading.

If space heaters are used, ensure that they have an automatic shut-off function should they tip over. Do not place them too close to paper or anything combustible.

  1. Keep objects away from sprinkler heads to allow a full range of coverage.
  2. Adequately train and test employees on the use of a fire extinguisher.

Reprinted with permission, The Mines Press Inc.